Sutton United’s hopes for the FA cup end in Essex

The FA cup is well on its way with fans all around over England watching their favourite teams go against one another. As exciting as this already sounds, many fans also choose to bet on popular teams using betting websites. However, it seems like any fans betting on Sutton United may have lost their money recently.

Sutton’s failure to take advantage of their chances in Saturday’s first meeting returned to disturb them in the replay at New Lodge where, despite the boost of an early Harry Beautyman goal, they were on the end of a chastening defeat. It looks like their hopes for the FA cup have been crushed and their fans are left in dismay.

As might have been expected after the way they rescued their late equaliser on Saturday, Billericay started with energy and Jamie Butler had to react sharply to cut out a low Robinson cross, but in the 10th minute U’s won a free kick on the right and Rob Milsom’s inswinging delivery was saved by Harry Beautyman’s head.

If United hoped that the goal would take the wind out of Billericay’s sails they were to be disappointed. The home side attacked back, winning several corners before levelling when Sam Deering’s free-kick was headed down by Doug Loft and Robinson’s shot looped in off Jamie Butler, the far post, and possibly Milsom.

It was a huge hit for U’s but their response was what their supporters would have wanted. Will Randall, who had replaced David Ajiboye at half time, posed a pressing threat, with one shot deflecting to Wright, whose scuffed effort rolled against the foot of the post, and a low cross met by Omar Bugiel whose shot was scrambled off the line by Julian.

Wright did then score, following in after Bugiel’s low shot had come back off the post, and with over half an hour to go Sutton was right back in the game. Another goal in the next ten minutes would have set up a thrilling finish, but Beautyman’s low shot deflected over the bar off Julian’s legs, and Wright failed to direct a header when well placed and unmarked twelve yards out.

The game was still mostly played in the Billericay half, but U’s were unable to keep up the force and their last chance went when Kyel Reid, having done superbly to make space on the right, then shot over when a low ball into the crowded six-yard box might have yielded more success. Despite seven minutes of additional time, they couldn’t create any more opportunities, and at the end of the last of those Moses Emmanuel broke clear to set up Robinson, who took his time before lifting the ball over Butler and set off the home team’s victorious celebrations.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.