We had a bet at home that the 1982 Battiston incident would be mentioned within 30 seconds of the TV coverage. We were wrong – it was 45 seconds and then it seemed every 10 minutes under Jonathan Pearce’s commentary. He did tell us though that Germany have never won the World Cup wearing anything but black shorts. Thanks JP.
In terms of intrigue, this game promised a lot. Neither team were particularly fancied in the run up to the tournament. Both teams themselves would have played down their chances, claiming their young squads needed a tournament more under their belts for experience. Whilst France comfortably brushed aside Nigeria in the Second Round, Germany were taken to extra time by an impressive Algeria, whose never-say-die spirit would have sapped the Germans energy. Couple that with a Lasagne-gate style illness in the camp and you would have to say France came into the game as favourites.
1. Ridiculous ceremony – Why subject the players to all of this ceremony and public displays of unity on important areas of racism and homophobia when if someone is found guilty they will get a risible fine and a pathetic slap on the wrist. How do you stamp it out of the game? By throwing the book at offenders. Making players stand behind a sign has what effect exactly?
2. Camera angels – I am in love with that camera that zooms across the pitch at grass level as the teams walk out…I want to see more of those camera angles during the game, tracking the runs of the players. Apart from the annoying super slow motion replays I think the camera work in the tournament has been outstanding. Loved the little interlude of the shot of the stadium and Christ the Redeemer as well.
3. Jaunty yellow boots – The French and their fashion style. Just seven of the starting line up sported the bright yellow boots, and three had the dual colour ones made by…..oh yes, Nike. At least they haven’t decided to both play in their away kits tonight.
4. Official top stats – David Luiz is the top player of the World Cup, according to FIFA stats. What tournament have they been watching? Betting sites do not even have him in the top ten – in fact Jozy Altidore at 500/1 is ahead of him. He has been his usual inconsistent self in the middle of an inconsistent defence.
5. Girl cam – The TV producer must have been snoozing for this game because it took them a full 26 minutes before we had the gratuitous shot of the pretty girl in the crowd. This time, it was a French lass, looking very pensive who, when she saw she was on TV, gave a nonchalant flick of her hair.
The Beer World Cup
No content here – a fridge-full of German beer with one of the little “stubbies” of Saint Omer beer. Stick to chocolate, wine and cheese. The better team won on and off the pitch. Even armed with a Becks Vier this was a walk over.
Germany 4 France 0